Motivation brings success and fortunes. Therefore we pay attention to motivation. If you are in a leadership role as a manager, chances are you are preoccupied with how to motivate others. We talk about motivation. We read about motivation. Most of us remember salient points about motivational theories.But are we motivated to do anything about it ? What can we do ? Can we motivate others ? No , we can not motivate others but we can create the conditions for others to motivate themselves
Seven Rules Of Motivation
1. Set a major goal, but follow a path. The path has mini goals that go in many directions. When you learn to succeed at mini goals, you will be motivated to challenge grand goals.
2. Finish what you start. A half finished project is of no use to anyone. Quitting is a habit. Develop the habit of finishing self-motivated projects.
3. Socialize with others of similar interest. Mutual support is motivating. We will develop the attitudes of our five bes t friends. If they are losers, we will be a loser. If they are winners, we will be a winner. To be a cowboy we must associate with cowboys.
4. Learn how to learn. Dependency on others for knowledge supports the habit of procrastination. Man has the ability to learn without instructors. In fact, when we learn the art of self-education we will find, if not create, opportunity to find success beyond our wildest dreams.
5. Harmonize natural talent with interest that motivates. Natural talent creates motivation, motivation creates persistence and persistence gets the job done.
6. Increase knowledge of subjects that inspires. The more we know about a subject, the more we want to learn about it. A self-propelled upward spiral develops.
7. Take risk. Failure and bouncing back are elements of motivation. Failure is a learning tool. No one has ever succeeded at anything worthwhile without a string of failures.
Motivation Lies With-in
The most important thing to keep in mind about motivation is that we cannot motivate others. Motivation comes from within-people motivate themselves. The only thing a supervisor, a manager, or anybody else can do is to create the conditions for people to motivate themselves
How To Motivate Ourself ?
Each of us have motivational hot spots. We need to keep this in mind while we try to create situations that motivate others. What motivates you or me may be different from what motivates someone else. Be careful. Don't force your motivation preferences on someone else. The safest way is to include all six motivational elements in your undertakings. That way you will connect with everyone's motivational hot spots.